Spirit of Sheboygan County Volunteer Awards
Spirit of Sheboygan County Awards
This annual awards ceremony celebrates individuals, groups, and companies that epitomize the spirit of giving throughout the year.
Meaningful community solutions aren’t possible without people, from all walks of life, rolling up their sleeves to share their time and talent. The true spirit of giving resides in the hearts of individuals that give with no expectation of anything in return. We are so lucky to have such generous people that support our community.
Help us recognize the volunteer work happening in Sheboygan County!
Make a Nomination Today! (Due Feb 10)
Note: Nominations with more detail help the selection committee understand the incredible impacts your nominee is making in Sheboygan County. Please be as detailed as possible for your nominee to be considered as a finalist and/or winner of the award category.
- Date: April 27th, 2023
- Time: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Doors open at 11 a.m.; Lunch served at 11:30 a.m.; Awards Ceremony starts at Noon
- Location: The American Club
- Tickets will be available closer to the event.
Award Category Descriptions
- Volunteer of the Year – Honors an individual volunteer that embodies the spirit of giving.
- Group/Team Volunteers of the Year – Honors a group/team of two or more people that volunteer together on the same project under a group/team name.
- Youth Volunteer Star – Honors an individual volunteer, under the age of 18, that embodies the spirit of giving.
- Outstanding Volunteer Board of Directors – Honors a nonprofit board that has shown exceptional leadership in driving a nonprofit organization.
- Community Spirit Award – Honors a corporation that has made a substantial impact in the community by encouraging the spirit of giving to their employees by promoting volunteer opportunities to their employees, engaging in volunteer activities and/or providing paid time for employees to volunteer.
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Honors an individual volunteer who has exhibited a lifelong commitment to volunteerism and community stewardship.
Who is eligible for you to nominate?
Your nominee must be a resident or group within Sheboygan County. You cannot nominate someone you are related to, someone who has passed away, an elected politician currently in office.
An advisory committee, made up of community volunteers and United Way Board Members, reviews all nominations to make the selection. All nominees will be notified of their nomination and their name(s) will be listed on United Way of Sheboygan County's website at that time.
Spirit Awards will be held in person during National Volunteer Month (April). All nominees, finalists, and nominators will be notified of any special registration options and details.
Questions? Contact us by calling 920-458-3425 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth Volunteer Star Award
- Isaac Gozdziewski* (Winner)
Group/Team Volunteers of the Year Award
- DU Greenwing Day Committee
- Great Marriages Mentor Couples*
- Scott & Kathy Labonte
- Coach Chris Guy & the Lakeshore United TOP Soccer Buddies*
- George Palmer and Keith Shearer* (Winner)
- Uptown Social Knitting Group
Outstanding Volunteer Board of Directors Award
- Love INC of Sheboygan County Board of Directors*
- Partners' Board of Directors* (Winner)
- Sheboygan County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors*
Community Spirit Award
- Cleveland State Bank – Charity Squad*
- Johnsonville Sausage
- Kohler Credit Union* (Winner)
- UnitedOne Credit Union*
Volunteer of the Year Award
- Heidi Hediger*
- Mona Mair* (Winner)
- Ray Peterson
- Vicki Ritchie
- Steven Schmitt*
- Gregg Watson
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Carol Dussault*
- Marilyn Montemayor* (Winner)
Youth Volunteer Star
- 2020 – Chelsea Braun
- 2019 – Allison Kreft
- 2018 – Dustin Eilers
- 2017 – Cordell Plopper
- 2016 – Our Savior’s Lutheran Youth Group and Confirmation Class
Group/Team Volunteers of the Year
- 2021 – Sheboygan Mask Makers (Click here for their acceptance video.)
- 2020 – Kohler-Andrae Friday Group
- 2019 – Girls Reaching Out (Water wells built in Malawi)
- 2018 – ReStore Volunteers (Habitat for Humanity)
- 2017 – IDEAS Academy students and teacher Tim Pasche
- 2016 – Sheboygan Symphony Carolers
Community Spirit Award Previous Winners
- 2020 – Wells Fargo
- 2019 – HSA Bank
- 2018 – Sargento
- 2017 – Johnsonville Sausage
- 2016 – Kohler Co.
Outstanding Volunteer Board of Directors
- 2020 – Safe Harbor of Sheboygan County
- 2019 – RCS Employment Services Advisory Board
- 2018 – Above & Beyond Children’s Museum
- 2017 – Boys & Girls Clubs of Sheboygan County
- 2016 – Habitat for Humanity Lakeside Board of Directors
Volunteer of the Year
- 2021 – Al Harmeling (Click here for their acceptance video.)
- 2020 – Larry Doolittle
- 2019 – Kathy Rowe
- 2018 – Ashleigh Yonke
- 2017 – Craig Keberly
- 2016 – Gerry Plehn
Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2021 – Eileen Simenz (Click here for their acceptance video.)
- 2020 – Tom Leibham
- 2019 – Jeff Lynds
- 2018 – Henry Jung
- 2017 – Marge Sonnenburg
- 2016 – Denny Moyer
2021 Special Categories
Outstanding Essential Worker(s) Nominees:
- Starr Grossman (Click here for their acceptance video.)
Community Nonprofit Spirit Nominees:
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Sheboygan County (Click here for their acceptance video.)